Friday, January 18, 2008

Deep freeze

It's cold. Crisp and clear, and I certainly appreciate the view of the night sky. The stars, planets, the Milky Way itself, are gloriously showcased against the blackest of black backgrounds. It's cold, though, and I am loathe to linger too long in admiration. The ground winks back with its own reflected sparkle.
Instead of slopping through the mud, I crunch over it on my way to the barn.
The horses are thick with glossy Winter fuzz, their guard hairs standing out. I've let their bridle paths grow out, and they all sport a Tina Turner-style 'do.
I hear that more cold's on the way. The kind that will freeze the water buckets even inside the barn.
I could complain about it, but it's not raining. The brightness is welcome, though I could do with a longer day in lieu of these short, bright, brittle ones.
So each little fuzzball gets a bit extra hay, and then it's back to the now overly warm-seeming house.
The phones are all screwy again, so I'll have to assuage this bit of Winter loneliness with trying to scare up some online friends for a bit of distraction, tonight. See how everyone's doing. My cell doesn't work very well at my house.
The cold seems to add an extra layer to the isolation I feel sometimes. It has nothing to do with being alone, though everything to do with loneliness.
Even those stars seem more distant, this night.
One other thing about nights like this is that the bed sheets seem every bit as cold as the air outside. Climbing in, I huddle in a fetal ball, and try to conserve body heat. Luckily, I will fall asleep before I get fully warm, and wake up midway through to enjoy that warmth.

8 comments:

Sara said...

Wow Liz, you have some way with words. I love reading through your blog. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, sara! :)
Good to see you here...

Sara said...

I just started a blog myself. :) How can I hook up to yours, if it is ok?

Mine is...
KanoasBlog.blogspot.com

In case you're bored. :)

Unknown said...

Sara, you can add me to your blogroll from your dashboard. Hit the "customize" link, then "add an element" to your page. You can add links there.
Email me if you need to know more.

L.

Paula said...

This is my first trip to your site and I am completely enjoying myself. What a beautiful and touching post. Hasn't the full moon been something to see on these cold clear nights!
Thank you so much for visiting my site and leading me here.

Undercover Mother said...

The best part of a cold night is waking in the middle of it, curled up and warm, knowing it's hours until you have to wake up, then drifting back off again.

Auntie said...

Mom o' three......laying in bed and waking is fine and dandy if you are one of those rare people who don't have to get up and freakin' pee at that time.

Unknown said...

mom o three, yes, you said it...going back to sleep is the best, especially since one has finally warmed up!
auntie, well, thankfully that problem hasn't plagued me since I gave birth to my last son, but I can commiserate, to be sure!
Thanks for dropping by, and thank you, paula, for the compliments!