Friday, January 4, 2008

Again with the wind

Another storm's on the way. No panic mentality, not even after last month/year's doozy.
I am, however, doing the usual that I like to do when I hear one of these is on its way: making sure all the vacuuming, laundry and cleaning is done. Well, as much as I can GET done, for as soon as I stop cleaning, dirt will commence its dictatorship.
Charge all your lights, batteries, fill the gascans and generators, lay in the firewood, and take a good, long, hot shower. Prepare for a windstorm.
I'm hoping they're right about the rain, though, that it is mostly headed south.
Summer, anyone?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, the 2008 version of the big one was somewhat of a fizzle:
It only took out the power for about three hours.
I felt pretty smug in my vacuumed, laundried and clean little world with a truck full of diesel and tanks w/gas for the gennie.
Didn't get to see the news, but when we were in Seaside, I saw so many news trucks, I guess they were thinking it was going to be pretty epic.
C'est la vie, eh?
Count our blessings and now begins the lulling, so that when the big one comes again, we will be so complacent with the "almosts" and "wolf cries" that we fail to prepare yet again.
It's a vicious cycle. ;)

CB said...

Love your blog.

I now make sure that I am at least a week a head on ... underwear and socks. With fibro washing and rinsing out the delicates in lukewarm that turns cold before I am completely done, and trying to get out all traces of soap that will irritate the heck out of my skin, was hell. Such misery! Ack, so selfish of me when so many others were really worse off. Yeah, we now have 20 gallons reserved for the "gennie" (for many of us it will become a part of the family, to be named like the family car), propane tanks for cooking and heating, lamps, batteries, radio, games, books.

Unknown said...

Haha, thanks! I know, I actually went out and patted the generator once the electricity came on 6.5 days after the big one blew through, much like one would give the family horse a "well-done" pat on the shoulder or rump after a long, arduous journey.
We didn't lose anything in fridge or freezer, and we had the warm glow of the tv with which to distract our cabin-fevered selves.
Not to mention: internet. *LOL*
Thanks for dropping by....!!!

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Being we are without power for five days every year, I've decided to get a generator as well. It will keep the horses from leaning on the fences.